Friday, September 24, 2010

Grandma's Ugly Shoes

Grandma's Ugly Shoes
Author Unknown


When I was very little
All the Grandmas that I knew
Wore the very same old kind
Of ugly grandma shoes.

You know the kind I mean.
Clunky-heeled, black, lace-up kind.
They just looked so awful
That it weighed upon my mind,

For I knew when I grew old,
I'd have to wear those shoes.
I'd think of that from time to time
It seemed like such bad news.

I never was a rebel,
I wore saddle shoes to school,
And next came ballerinas
Then the sandals, pretty cool.

And then came spikes with pointed toes
Then platforms, very tall,
As each new fashion came along
I wore them... one and all.

But always in the distance,
Looming in my future, there....
Was that awful pair of ugly shoes,
The kind that Grandmas wear.

I eventually got married
And then became a Mom
Our kids grew up and left us,
And when their children came along,

I knew I was a Grandma
And the time was drawing near
When clunky, black, old lace-up shoes
Was what I'd have to wear.

How would I do my gardening
or take my morning hike?
I couldn't even think about
How I would ride my bike!

But fashions kept evolving
And one day I realized
That the shape of things to come
was changing, right before my eyes.

And now, when I go shopping
What I see fills me with glee
For in my jeans and Sketchers
I'm as comfy as can be.

And I look at all these little girls
And there upon their feet
Are clunky, black, old Grandma shoes,
And I really think that's neat.


~ Thanks for stopping by ~
~ Lisa ~



1 comment:

  1. That's cute Lisa. I love the new soundtracks! Actually I played Over the Rainbow, which always reminds me of my Grandma Mem. She always had The Wizard of Oz playing when I visited her house. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

If you have visited my Blog and would like to leave a note, please feel free to do so. Thank you for stopping by, ~ Lisa ~